This soup not only tastes amazing, it is also a nutritional powerhouse. Broccoli is an amazing food for our health and should be a staple in our kitchens. It sure is in my house. This creamy soup is my new favourite way to enjoy broccoli.
The following are some interesting facts on my favourite super powered vegetable Broccoli;
• Broccoli is extremely low in calories (1 cup of chopped broccoli contains about 35 calories) yet one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Therefore you get the most bang for your nutritional buck without impacting your waist line.
• Sulforaphane and Indole-3-Carbinols are two very important phyto-nutrients in broccoli that are known for their ability to prevent many types of cancers including breast and prostate cancer.
• Great source of dietary fibre.
• High in vitamin C, K and A as well as folic acid (critical for pregnant ladies like myself)
• Broccoli is also a great source of lutein which is an important phytonutrient that is helpful in preventing age-related macular degeneration
1 large head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp nutmeg
Enough water to cover veggies
2 tbsp of almond butter
1-2 tbsp of miso paste (to taste)
1/2 lemon, juiced
Sauté onions in olive oil until softened. Add broccoli, thyme, nutmeg. Sauté for another 2 minutes. Add enough water to cover the veggies. Bring to a boil and then simmer until broccoli is softened.
Transfer into a blender. Add almond butter, miso paste and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.