I love this soup. Not only because of its creamy deliciousness, but also because it gives me something to do with broccoli stalks. I hate wasting things, especially something that is so nourishing to our bodies. So here is a great soup that uses those stalks that most of us throw out. Make sure you cut off the outer part of the broccoli stalks because it is very fibrous and would impact the creaminess of this soup.
• 1 onion, diced
• 1 tbsp of olive or coconut oil
• 1 med sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 2 cups of combo of cauliflower + broccoli stalks (cut off outer part of the broccoli stalk)
• 2-3 garlic cloves
• 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
• broth or stock to cover an inch over the veggies
• sea salt or 1 tbsp of tamari (soy sauce) and pepper to taste
1. Sauté onion is olive oil or coconut oil for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Keep an eye on it and make sure you do not burn the onions. If you do, start over. You will not like the taste of the soup if the onions are burnt. The key is to caramelize the onions which will contribute a ton of flavour to this soup.
2. Add other veggies, garlic and red lentils. Sauté for 2-3 more minutes. Season with sea salt and pepper.
3. Cover with broth or water, bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are cooked and sweet potato is soft.
5. Blend and Enjoy!
Option = add 1 tbsp of your favourite curry powder and/or ginger!