One food that has had me wanting more during my pregnancy is anchovies. Not by themselves......I would really have a hard time eating them whole. They look kinda disgusting if you ask me. But I am loving salad dressings with the amazing taste and nutritional power of anchovies. Not only do they add an amazing flavour, they also pack a whack of amazing health benefits for me and my little one....who is kicking up a storm by the way :O)
Here are some of the nutritional highlights of my friend the anchovy;
- Omega 3's - many of us have heard about the importance of omega 3's but did you know that it is essential for brain development. When women are not getting enough omega 3's during pregnancy the baby will rob you of your stores and can set up the stage for postpartum. Taking omega 3's and eating omega 3 rich foods during pregnancy is one of the most powerful things that a mom can do during pregnancy for her health and the health of baby!Click here for some more info on omega 3's and pregancy
- Low mercury and PCB's - another thing that we pregnant women have to worry about is environmental toxins in the fish that we consume. With fish being the best source of omega 3's that can make it difficult to get adequate amounts of this critical fat. Anchovies are very low in these environmental contaminants making them a great choice for pregnant women. I also recommend that all pregnant women talk to their health care providers about taking a high quality fish oil during pregnancy.
- Selenium - this critical trace mineral is a bit hard to find in our diets. Selenium is a critical mineral for cancer prevention.
- Calcium - I think we all know and understand the importance of calcium for bone health. Calcium, along with magnesium, is also essential for our muscles to contract and is key nutrient for our nervous systems.
- Protein - anchovies are an excellent source of high quality protein. Five anchovies have nine grams of protein and only fifty-five calories
My favorite way to enjoy these nutritional powerhouses is in a salad dressing. Here is a simple salad dressing that I adapted from Gweneth Paltrow's new cookbook My Father's Daughter. This cookbook has some great recipes that are healthful and delicious. Who new that Gweneth Paltrow could cook???
Two Minute Anchovy Vinaigrette
- 6 anchovies packed in olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon Mustard (I use Dijon from the health food store without sulfates)
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar (could also use lemon juice or another vinegar)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Serve over seasonal mixed greens! Enjoy!