I love starting my day with a refreshing smoothie when the weather is warmer. I use frozen fruit and enjoy a cooling drink that contains a ton of nutrition. For those of you who follow my blog and my fan page on FACEBOOK you know that I am a big fan of green smoothies. I add veggies such as kale, chard, spinach and zucchini to name a few to my smoothies often. I know it may sound crazy but as long as you have some fruit in there you don’t taste the veggies and it is a great way to boost health
Don’t you just love cherries?? They are one of my favourite fruits not only because they taste great, they also pack a whack of nutrition. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of cherries
• Low glycemic fruit – great fruit choice for diabetics, wont spike blood sugar
• Great source of vitamin C
• Anthocyanins – just a big fancy nutrition word for a powerful antioxidant that supports heart health
• Very effective treatment for gout. If you are a gout sufferer talk to your health care practitioner about taking cherry extract in supplement form for optimal results to prevent attacks
• Contain 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries or strawberries
• Potassium, magnesium, folate, and iron are also found in cherries
• Ellagic Acid has antiproliferative and antioxidant properties. The antiproliferative properties of ellagic acid are due to its ability to directly inhibit the DNA binding of certain carcinogens = in simple words – it helps prevent many types of cancers.
Now don’t you just want to go and eat some cherries??? I bought some local Canadian frozen strawberries from my local market. Please note that cherries are on the dirty dozen list according to the Environmental Working Group, due to its pesticide residue; please purchase organic when possible.