Yay!!!! It’s squash season. My favorite thing about fall is the food! Even though it is not technically fall, the cooler mornings and the few chilli days that we have had makes me feel like fall foods. I love cooking up soups, stews, chilli, cabbage rolls, using the healthiest ingredients of course. All of the comfort and warming foods are so nourishing to the body and the soul!
Butternut squash soup is definitely on the top of my list. I make it all kinds of ways, sometimes I add an apple or pear, sometimes I add coconut milk and ginger. Depends what mood I am in. I also love it just pure and simple! This soup gets its amazing flavor from roasting the squash. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness in the food that you are cooking. That simple step can be done while doing other things and then the soup can be whipped up in a flash. Enjoy!
1 tbsp organic butter + 1 tbsp of olive oil or 2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 butternut squash. sliced in 1/2 and seeded
2 large cloves of garlic
6 cups or so of broth OR water, or enough to cover with 1 inch over vegetables
sea salt and pepper taste
- Roast butternut squash face down in a preheated oven at 375 for 45 minutes or until very soft. Take out of oven and let cool for a little bit while doing the rest of your prep.
- Meanwhile sauté onions over medium heat with butter/olive oil or olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Scoop out squash and add to pot along with water/stock to cover over vegetables 1 inch.
- Season with sea salt and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes
- Let cool. Add to blender and blend until smooth.
- Re-heat and Enjoy!!!!
Note - I have a Vitamix which is the most amazing blender on the market. It can handle hot liquid therefore I can skip the ‘let cool” step. If you happen to have a vitamix feel free to skip that step! If you dont have a vitamix, then you really should start a savings account and get one. It is amazing!!! Pricy but worth every penny ;)
|Can also be served up in a sippy cup. Please note - it is important to get a BPA free cup, i like tommy tippers!|
Share with me! What are your favorite fall foods????