I am always looking for quick meal ideas that are healthy to make on a busy weeknight. I do love to cook and when I have the time enjoy spending extra time in the kitchen preparing meals however LIFE IS BUSY! I don't always have the time on a to spend hours in the kitchen especially with a toddler running around :)
So that being said, healthy eating is a top priority for me and for my family! Eating meals that nourish my body fuels my energy, helping me work better and able to spend more time running after my little toddler...who has a ton of energy.
My mother bought me a cookbook called Weeknights with Giada by Giada DeLaurentiis. It has some really great ideas! I do have to revamp some of the recipes to give them a health boost. One of my favorite recipes that I made alot this past summer is her Watermelon, Watercress and Couscous salad with feta, I do however swap out the couscous (which is just white pasta in a small shape) for quinoa which is a more complete food full of vitamins, minerals and protein!
I also really like the Lemony White Bean, Tuna and Arugula salad. This salad is a quick go to recipe that can take advantage of kitchen staples for a super quick meal.
I also made the Sweet and Spicy Greek Meatballs one night when I had company. I also swapped out couscous for quinoa here and used organic, grass fed beef instead of lamb only because I am not a huge fan of lamb. The spices used in this recipe is far from what I would do intuitively but it turned out amazing. Cinnamon, oregano, mint, are not spices I would typically mix myself but it was amazing!
The sauteed kale, mushrooms and cranberries and the roasted zucchini were also both amazing!
There all also some quinoa recipes on my list of things to make! I also want to make a dairy free version of her Lentil and Brown rice rolls that are rolled with swiss chard! Yum!
Overall, I would not recommend all of the recipes in the book. They are not all focused on health but there are more than enough amazing recipes here that make it a worthwhile cookbook to have on your shelf, you just have to health them up a bit!
I made these Thai lettuce wraps for a lunch date with my mom. I adapted it slightly to add more veggies and more color. The next day I used the leftovers over a large mixed greens salad and enjoyed it again! My little lady loved the meat mixture along with roasted sweet potato!
- 3 juicy limes, juiced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp of thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- Fresh lemongrass, 4 inch piece finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 package of ground turkey or chicken (I used Beretta Organic Meat here)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 head of boston lettuce, leaves separated
- Whisk together lemon and lime juice fish sauce and raw honey.
- Heat pan over medium heat add olive oil (be sure not to let the pan get to hot as it will damage the delicate oil). Add shallots, onions and lemongrass. Cook until tender. Add turkey or chicken and season with sea salt and pepper. Cook until the meat in cooked through. Add diced red peppers and cook for another minute
- Add the dressing to the pan. Mix together and let warm for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add mixture to lettuce leaves. Top with fresh mint and enjoy with a side salad!