About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Baked Hummus Delight

Well, I am still up here at my parents cottage in Haliburton. There was quite a shift in weather from nice and warm, to waking up today and it only being 14C outside. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... I am keeping warm this morning with 3 cups of green tea!
Late afternoon yesterday, the family all went golfing (I am not into golfing, but the rest of the family is so I stayed back). I knew they would be hungry when they got back to the cottage around 8pm so I decided to try this recipe that I saw in a yoga magazine (Yoga at Home, from the editors of Yoga Journal).
I never thought to bake hummus! But let me tell ya, it was good!!!

Here is my spin on the recipe:

1 batch of hummus (see recipe below) - you could also use store bought
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup katamata olives, chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup of crumbled feta
1 tbsp of olive oil

Spread hummus evenly in an oven safe dish. Sprinkle with olives, tomatoes and feta, being sure that you cover the surface evenly.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Bake @ 350F for 15-20 minutes.
Serve with whole grain crackers (I used Mary's Organic Crackers)

Here is the platter that I had ready for the golfers! Sheep's milk cheese, organic brie, grape tomatoes and Mary's Organic Crackers

Homemade Classic Hummus
1 can of chickpeas (I use Eden Organic)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small clove of garlic
1/2 the zest from 1 lemon
1/2 the juice of 1 lemon
2 heaping tbsp of tahini
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Blend all of the ingredients in a food processor, except tahini. When well blended, add the tahini and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. Pulse a few times to mix and viola!!
Easy peasy (as my mother would say) and your done!!



7 comments:

  1. Yummm, what a great idea! I never would have thought to bake hummus either -- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are very welcome!! Great Blog....by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! I LOVE the idea of topping hummus with feta and baking it! Way to class up an ordinary dish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan! It is amazing.....if i do say so myself :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Meghan's blog and had to check it out. YUM, looks great! My fav. way to give my hummus a kick, is to add a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, some pesto and some sundried tomatoes! I bet those would be great in this baked recipe too! :-)

    ReplyDelete