About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Flourless Brownies

Around Christmas time I had my 4 year old nephew over and like any other 4 year old he LOVES sugar and treats. So being the health conscious lady that I am, I decided to try something new and make him a "healthy" sweet treat. So I found this recipe on wholefoods.com (great website for recipes....by the way). It is a high fibre, fairly low sugar brownie with the secret ingredient being BLACK BEANS. I know it sounds strange, but trust me....IT WORKS! These brownies are fudgy and good for you! My nephew loved them and so did I. I dare you to try them....

Makes 16

Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed

3 large eggs
1/3 cup melted butter, more for the baking dish
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar (i have a client who used Agave Syrup instead and said they turned out great)
1/2 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (i omitted the walnuts and added more dark chocolate chips for the 4 year old)
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch baking pan. Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. Remove the blade and carefully stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center. Cool before cutting into squares.


NOTES:
- Agave Syrup is a natural sweetener from a cactus plant. It has a low glycemic index than many other sweeteners and it tastes great. It is the consistancy of maple syrup but the flavour is very neutral making it great for baking and cooking. I use it all the time.
- Also, I used one can of Eden Organic Black Beans for this recipe. For those of you who think they have trouble digesting beans, try Eden Beans. As a result of the way they are cooked, they are much less likely to cause gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment