About Me

My photo
I support people on their journey to wellness through nutrition and lifestyle coaching! I am passionate about teaching people how lifestyle choices can be fun, inspiring and positively affect all aspects of their lives. I love guiding people to wellness one meal at a time!! I am also a passionate mama, a yogi and I love to cook!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Gluten Free Falafel

I love falafel. When I go to Middle Eastern restaurants, I usually cannot enjoy them as they add wheat flour (I am allergic to wheat) and I don’t like the fact that it is deep fried. So here is my version of a classic food with my healthy twist! The seasoning used, make them not only taste great, but also makes this recipe come with amazing promoting properties. Cumin is great for digestion. And as I always say “you are only as healthy as your pipe’s”. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory power and anti cancer potential Parsley and cilantro are both great sources of chlorophyll, which is very cleansing to our bodies. Parsley is also a well known diuretic.

This recipe combines legumes (chickpeas), seeds (tahini/sesame seed paste) and whole grains (quinoa flour) making this a complete vegetarian protein meal with all of the essential amino acids. Contains 9 grams of protein per serving and 8 grams of fiber!

Nourishing, tasty and satisfying! What more could you ask for? Enjoy!! Serves 4


• 1 can of chickpeas (I use Eden Organic)
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 shallot or ½ onion, chopped
• 2 tbsp tahini
• Handful of both cilantro and parsley, roughly chopped
• ¼ cup quinoa flour
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp coriander
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1 tbsp of olive oil for cooking


Directions
1. Place all ingredients, except olive oil, in a food processer. Process until smooth.
2. Using hands take golf ball sized peices and roll with hands
3. Heat fry pan to medium heat.
4. Add olive oil and pan fry falafels until lightly browned


Serve with your favourite mixed greens salad and a dollop of hummus or tahini sauce (tahini + lemon juice + garlic + water)

No comments:

Post a Comment