Shiitake mushrooms contain a powerful active compound called lentinan. One of lentinan’s important healing benefits is its ability to boost the immune system by strengthening its power to fight infection and disease. Nori, like all sea vegetables, offers the broadest range of minerals of any food, containing virtually all the minerals found in the ocean – the same minerals that are found in the human body. Sea vegetables also contain good amounts of lignans; a plant compound with cancer protective properties. Avocados are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats and a great source of vitamin E! Enjoy this tasty recipe and reap the health rewards!
2 cups, fresh shitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 avocado, + optional to add more flavour mashed with a tsp of fresh lemon juice + cilantro
2 sheets of nori
1 Tbsp fresh ginger root, grated
1-2 Tbsp tamari
1 Tbsp olive oil
water as needed
• Heat the oil in a skillet, add the ginger and sauté lightly
• Throw in the mushrooms and tamari, as water as needed so mushrooms will cook without sticking to the pan
• Once mushrooms shrink up a bit and get slightly dark, you know their ready, remove from heat.
• Lay out your seaweed on a cutting board
• Spread avocado either in slices or mashed up, along edge of sushi paper
• Top with a row of mushrooms
• Roll, slice, and eat. Yum!
Adapted from: http://meghantelpnerblog.com/recipes/